Urgent request to Branches on Defence Trade Controls Bill
Yesterday I sent an email to Branches alerting them to the probable passage of the Defence Trade Controls Bill in the next fortnight.This post summarises much of that communication.
I encourage NTEU members to join in the university and research sectors’ efforts to raise awareness about the Bill and to ensure that amendments to the Bill address the sectors’ key issues. We are encouraging Branches and members to write to local parliamentarians.
Both the Government and Opposition have made public statements that they intend to support the Bill in the Senate. At this stage it is important to ensure that appropriate amendments are introduced to allow for our concerns to be negotiated and addressed after the introduction of the legislation. In these letters it would be useful to discuss the implications for the nature of academic research and the future of Australian intellectual and scientific inquiry. It is also critical to call for the NTEU to be a part of the consultation and trial processes that will be established as part of the transitional arrangements following passage of the Bill.
To assists Branches and members, please take a look at:
- A Briefing Note providing further information about the Bill, including links to relevant sites;
- The NTEU’s letter to Minister for Defence, Stephen Smith (which could inform writing letters to parliamentarians);
- A document about how to address your local parliamentarian.
The following parliamentarians have particular interest and influence in this area, so we emphasise the importance of alerting them to the NTEU’s concerns.
Members of the Senate Foreign Affairs , Defence and Trade (FADT) Committee
- Senator Ursula Stephens (Chair) (NSW) Senator.Stephens@aph.gov.au
- Senator Alan Eggleston (Deputy Chair) (WA) email@example.com
- Senator David Fawcett (SA) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator David Johnston (WA) Senator.Johnston@aph.gov.au
- The Hon. Julie Bishop, MP Julie.Bishop.MP@aph.gov.au
- Senator the Hon. John Faulkner email@example.com
- Senator the Hon. Lee Rhiannon firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Hon. Christopher Pyne, MP, Shadow Minister for Education C.Pyne.MP@aph.gov.au
- Senator Brett Mason, Shadow Minister for Universities and Research email@example.com
- The Hon. Sophie Mirabella, MP, Shadow Minister for Innovation Sophie.Mirabella.MP@aph.gov.au
- Senator The Hon. Stephen Smith. Minister for Defence Stephen.Smith.MP@aph.gov.au
- Senator the Hon. Chris Evans, Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Science and Research firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Hon. Greg Combet, Minister for Industry and Innovation email@example.com
- The Hon Mike Symon, MP Mike.Symon.MP@aph.gov.au