NTEU is an organisation of employees registered under the Workplace Relations Act 1996. The Union is covered by the provisions of the Privacy Act 1998.
The principal activities of the Union are:
- Representing members in workplace and industry-wide negotiations with employers and employer organisations.
- Representing members before the Australian Industrial Relations Commission, State industrial tribunals and other courts and tribunals on matters relevant to workplace issues.
- Providing information to members about their employment and related rights and obligations.
- Lobbying State and Federal Government and other relevant bodies about matters of concern to members and their families in relation to employment.
- Publicising to members and to the community issues of concern to members and proposals to address these concerns.
- Conducting research and other activities in order to enable the Union to effectively carry out these functions.
- Providing members and their families with access to a range of services on favourable terms.
The Union collects personal information from members, including name, address, employer, occupation, date of birth, country of birth, main language spoken and contact details.
The Union also maintains details of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status of members who have self-identified as such. For these purposes, the NTEU uses the definition of Indigenous Australians as follows: An Indigenous Australian is a person of Indigenous Australian (e.g. Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander) descent, who identifies as such and is accepted as such by the community in which he or she lives.
Personal information provided by members is only used to conduct the principal activities of the Union as set out in this Statement, and is treated as confidential. Information requested for payment of membership dues is provided only to the relevant financial institutions. In respect of commercial or marketing activities, individual member information is only provided to third parties with the consent of a member, or to verify union membership where the member has approached that third party. More detailed information is collected from members in relation to individual cases.
Members wishing to access more information about the way NTEU manages personal information and request for access, or wishing to make a complaint in relation to breach of privacy may contact Grahame McCulloch, National General Secretary. Email email@example.com
The Union can be contacted at:
PO Box 1323, South Melbourne VIC 3205
Phone: (03) 9254 1910
Fax: (03) 9254 1915