'Whither Tom’s NTEU T-Shirt?' NTEU logo airbrushed from history
Anyone perusing the photos of our University Council in the 2012 UoN Annual Report would be surprised to know there has been a bizarre turn of events surrounding NTEU member (and elected academic staff member on Council) Tom Griffiths’ T-Shirt.
Tom is an active NTEU member, and member of the NTEU enterprise bargaining team with a strong identity around the importance of University education and the fostering of intellectual freedom.
The NTEU T-shirt, with the message ‘I am who I am because of University’ particularly struck a chord with Tom as an elected representative of our University community.
Unfortunately this view appears not to have been shared by others within University as there is now a blacked out photo-shopped space in the annual report where Tom’s NTEU T-Shirt used to be!
You can view the photo-shopped T-shirt in the UoN Annual Report on the UoN web link below (Volume 1, p.10) http://www.newcastle.edu.au/service/annual-reports/2012.html
Tom has asked for an explanation from University management as to why his shirt was photo-shopped, and why he was not consulted before the annual report was published.
Indeed, ‘the decision to photo-shop my T-shirt without at least even speaking to me first seems bizarre and indefensible’, Tom said.
Your NTEU bargaining team was happy to gather for a photo in support for Tom (and his T-shirt and union voice) particularly in light of the NTEU’s claim around improving intellectual freedom rights for staff at UoN in the next enterprise agreement.
What can you do to show support for your Unions in enterprise bargaining?
The NTEU Newcastle Branch is planning a solidarity action in support of the NTEU enterprise bargaining team, their colleague Tom and the NTEU’s claims on Monday 21stOctober.
On Monday the 21st October staff are encouraged to:
- Wear your union’s colours (NTEU purple) to work .
- Put on a Union badge or sticker on your clothing or your door to show solidarity.
- Put up an NTEU bargaining poster to support the Union bargaining teams.
- There are free NTEU posters and NTEU stickers available from the NTEU Newcastle Branch Office... Call 49216870 or email Newcastle@nteu.org.au.
- Send a message of support to the bargaining team via this blog post or direct to the bargaining team at email@example.com
- You can also go to:https://www.nteu.org.au/myunion/info/merchandise to see your own version of ‘The real Tom’s T-Shirt!’
Post a comment
RM HE18 Hunter Building Callaghan Campus
University of Newcastle
Phone: 02 4921 6870
Fax: 02 4921 2032