Women's Action Network Meeting
The NTEU participation at the Equal Pay Day of Action on the 10th June was fantastic. The support from NTEU members for this campaign has prompted us to reactivate our NTEU Women’s Action Network in NSW. This is a great time to get involved as there are a number of active campaigns around women’s workplace rights, empowerment and addressing core issues that continue to confront women today.
The first meeting of the NSW WAN will be held on Wednesday, June 30 from 4pm to 7.30 including dinner, in the NTEU Division Office, Level 1 55 Holt St, Surry Hills to explore and to identify the direction of this network.
There are various events and campaign initiatives around women’s rights that we may wish to engage with and promote in 2010, including the NTEU National Women’s Action Conference in Melbourne (to be held 24th & 25th July). This relaunch is exploratory and we want you to participate in making it a successful and effective network by utilising your knowledge, expertise and passion to direct our campaigns and activities.
Suggested agenda items for discussion include:
- The Federal government’s Paid Parental Leave Scheme: Implications for University bargaining and workplace conditions;
- What is the state of Gender Equity across NSW Universities?
- What have we achieved for women so far in the current bargaining round?
- Domestic Violence – a workplace issue: Report on the University of NSW negotiations on a clause developed by the Australian Domestic and Family Violence Clearing House;
- Reports from local branches on relevant educational, campaign and research initiatives on women’s rights. Discussion around how the union can promote and support these initiatives.
- Campaigning with the broader union movement: recent experiences with ASU’s Pay Equity Campaign.
To register your interest or to add any agenda items, please contact your local branch organiser. If you would like to attend the meeting in person, but are located in a NSW Regional Branch, please ask your organiser to contact the NSW Division about possible travel funding assistance.