eYarn - Indigenous News: April edition (online version)
Welcome to the April edition of eYarn. This issue has been delayed due to injury of the person writing it, so please note the usual circulation of eYarn will take place on the last Friday of each month and members are welcome to submit information for inclusion by the Monday immediately before. Thank you too to those who fed back on the last edition. Without any further ado:
1. Tasmanian IPC Representative Announcement
Following the recent IPC teleconference, we are pleased to announce that Dr Maggie Walter has been appointed to fill the vacant Tasmanian position on the Indigenous Policy Committee. We thank Maggie for putting her name forward for this important position and look very much forward to working with Maggie on issues affecting Indigenous staff in Tasmania.
2. Indigenous Women’s Advisory Committee Representative – Call for feedback
Thank you to the women who have thusfar responded to Indigenous WAC Representative Sharon Dennis (UTas) with regards to the proposal to extend the term of representation for Women’s Advisory Committee members. So far we have received good feedback from members, but it would be great to receive some more. To this end, National Indigenous Organiser Celeste Liddle is extending the feedback window and now asks that female members feedback by COB Wednesday 2nd May. Responses will be collated and then forwarded on to Sharon to present at the Women’s Advisory Committee.
3. WANTED: PEOPLE FOR VIDEO – ACTU Congress
We are URGENTLY calling for three members of the Indigenous caucus to take part in a video to be presented at ACTU Congress in May. Interested persons will be filmed answering three questions on employment for Indigenous staff in the Tertiary sector, particularly the Indigenous clauses in the collective agreements and when they have been of assistance. People need to be available ASAP so if you are interested, please notify by return email. Victorian members preferred due to proximity to National Office, but we can make arrangements for interstate members to take part at their local Division offices if they are interested.
4. Indigenous forum 2012:
Registrations for the National Indigenous Forum have now closed however there are still a few branches that are not currently represented. Late registrations attract a small late fee, and are possible so if people are interested in coming along, please contact your branch office ASAP. To find the contacts for your local branch or division, please go to http://www.nteu.org.au/ click on “Go Local” and select your institution.
5. Update: Indigenous support centres – mainstreaming and expansion issues
The National Indigenous Unit would like to thank those who shared their stories with regards to the mainstreaming of Indigenous centres or the push for units solely offering support to undertake academic programmes as well. A number of members have been impacted and with the next bargaining round just around the corner and Indigenous Forum just under four weeks away, these issues will definitely be discussed in greater depth. If you would like to share details of issues at your institution please do not hesitate to contact the National Indigenous Unit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Current IPC representative details
- Jillian Miller (UniSA): Chair and Division Indigenous Councillor South Australia - email@example.com
- Terry Mason (UWS): Deputy Chair and National Councillor - firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Graham (Griffith): Division Indigenous Councillor QLD - email@example.com
- Maree Gruppetta (Newcastle): Division Indigenous Councillor NSW, National Indigenous Councillor - Maree.Gruppetta@newcastle.edu.au
- Marilyn Strother (UWA): Division Indigenous Councillor WA - Marilyn.Strother@uwa.edu.au
- Catherine Taylor (ANU): Division Indigenous Executive ACT - Catherine.Taylor@anu.edu.au
- Bronwyn Fredericks (QUT/CQU): National Indigenous Councillor - firstname.lastname@example.org
. Maggie Walter (UTAS): IPC Representative Tasmania - Margaret.Walter@utas.edu.au
Please note: Victorian and NT positions are currently vacant. If you are interested in nominating for these positions, please contact the National Indigenous Unit via Celeste.
Post a comment
Room 214 Transient Bdg Camperdown/DarlingtonCampus
University of Sydney
Phone: 02 9351 2827
Fax: 02 9351 7573