Support Your Colleagues at UNSW and Macquarie â€“ An Urgent Message from the NTEU General Secretary
Around 150 NTEU members have imposed bans on the transmission of examination results at the University of New South Wales and Macquarie University. NTEU Branch negotiators have spent more than two years trying to secure Collective Agreements which guarantee competitive pay rises, job security, reductions in contract and casual employment and the restoration of employment standards stripped away by the Howard Government’s Higher Education Workplace Relations Requirements (HEWRRs) and WorkChoices.
Members forced to take industrial action
NTEU members at 30 universities have already achieved Collective Agreements which deliver these guaranteed employment standards, and 5 other universities are close to settlement. Only the UNSW and Macquarie University managements have resisted and opposed these standards, particularly on job security and reducing contract and casual employment. UNSW and Macquarie members have been left with little choice but to pursue direct industrial action.
Management to unfairly penalise members imposing bans
The 150 members imposing bans have offered to perform their full range of duties except for the transmission of results. Management has rejected this offer and will not pay any salary to these members for the duration of the bans – this may well involve the loss of thousands of dollars for each member, many of whom are on relatively low salaries and/or are employed casually.
Urgent solidarity needed
I urge every NTEU member to provide direct support to our colleagues. Their fight is your fight – for employment standards which reflect the professionalism and productivity of all Australian university staff.
With your support our Macquarie and UNSW colleagues can win this dispute. You can make a big difference:
- Donate to the Fighting Fund – click here: http://www.nteu.org.au/myunion/get_involved/fighting_fund/donate. We need to raise sufficient funds to replace lost salary for our brave colleagues.
If you are an NTEU member at UNSW or Macquarie, any donation you make will be set aside to specifically support your local colleagues imposing bans. Money from the whole NTEU membership will be evenly distributed to members imposing the bans at both universities.
- Send a letter of protest to the Macquarie and UNSW Vice-Chancellors – click here: http://www.nteu.org.au/myunion/get_involved/fighting_fund/email_the_vcs. They need to know that university staff across Australia believe that UNSW and Macquarie staff deserve just and equal treatment.
Please support this appeal – you will find further information here:
- On the NTEU national website http://www.nteu.org.au/fighting_fund
- NTEU Macquarie campaign site http://www.mqstaff.org
- NTEU UNSW campaign site http://www.unswstaff.org