Posts tagged with cuts
An analysis of the cuts to university funding released by the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) today challenges the Prime Minister’s characterisation of these cuts as being nothing more ...
ABC News report about today’s protests in Perth over the Federal Government’s $2.3bn cuts to university funding.
Members of the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) and students staged protests this morning at Curtin University, Murdoch University, the University of Western Australia and Edith Cowan University.
NTEU Division President Gabe Gooding told the ABC that the cuts were particularly bad for Western Australia because of the decision many years ago to move the school starting age forward by six months. This will start to be felt in 2015 with half as many school leavers as usual available to enrol at
The National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) has slammed reports that Opposition education spokesman Christopher Pyne has ruled out opposing the Federal government’s $2.3bn in cuts to higher ...
“Dumb cuts – dumber country.” Union appeals to University Vice Chancellors over $2.3b cuts to higher education
The National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) is appealing to Australian universities not to cut staff as a result of the $900 million ‘efficiency dividend’ cuts announced on the weekend ...
If you didn't get to be at one of the best rallies ever, you can get a flavour of it here.
ANU School of Music rally
- The rally began with bands playing all over campus, showing the depth and breadth of skill produced by the School.
- Brass band gathers up protesters and leads them to Union Court.
- Brass band and drummers and dancing, rhythmically clapping protesters.
- Gary France drumming up the intensity.
- Are we having fun yet? Oh, yes.
- Jazz band leader adds swing to the chant of 'Save Our School'.
- Musicians of very different styles join in protest.
- The NTEU labelled the VC's planned ANU cuts 'Cold, not bold.' The meme has been taken further.
- Music School choir enchants the protestors.
- The drumming, chanting crowd fell silent to listen to the exquisite singing of a School of Music choir.
- NTEU-banner-holding protester masked in the spirit of festive protest.
- ACT NTEU Secretary Stephen Darwin inspired the crowd with a fiery rejection of cuts to the School of Music.
- Greens MLA Caroline Le Couteur addresses the rally.
- Federal police attended but stayed in the background of a peaceful rally.
- Protestors listening to speeches of support for the School of Music (Not, as this photo might suggest, worshipping a tree).
- It was a huge rally of about a thousand people.
- Jack Hobbs, ANU Students' Association's Music Rep, addressing the crowd.
- Malba Barahona carrying the NTEU banner in the march to the Chancery.
- Annie Carroll carrying the other end of the banner!
- Yes, we're definitely having fun now.
- Protestors dancing outside the Chancelry.
- ANUSA President Dallas Proctor heading into the Chancelry (with Music Reps Jack Hobbs and Yasmin Masri) to present a petition signed by over 21,000 people.
Many members of the NTEU, ANU staff and students and the Canberra community have written to Vice-Chancellor Ian Young via his consultation email line, which is open until 25th May 2012. You ...