NSW Bluestocking Week Events
NTEU and the National Union of Students (NUS) are revitalising blue stocking week—an opportunity to celebrate and campaign around women’s participation in higher education.
Bluestocking week was held by Australian women students from the late 1980s through to the last decade. While primarily focussed on education, it often provided a vehicle for other key campaigns around issues like sexual violence, reproductive rights and equal rights at work. (You can read more about the history of bluestocking week here).
To celebrate the history and achievement of women campaigning for change, the NSW Division office will be holding a screening of Utopia Girls, a one-hour documentary about how Australian women won the vote, followed by commentary from Meredith Bergmann titled ‘Women and politics – the true story’.
I would like to invite all women members in NSW to attend this event.
Date: Wednesday, 15 August 2012
Location: Level 1, 55 Holt St Surry Hills (NTEU NSW Division Office)
Please RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org
There are also a number of local events being held throughout NSW, including:
Tuesday 14 August
- Southern Cross University—lunchtime debate from 12: ‘It’s immodest for women to show their education’ [full details].
- Sydney University—lunchtime meeting of women members [full details].
Wednesday 15 August
- University of New England—lunchtime debate from 1: ‘Is it enough to hate men?’ [full details].
- University of Newcastle—evening film screening of documentary Killing Us Softly: Advertising’s image of women [full details].
Thursday 16 August
- University of Wollongong—lunchtime film screening of Norma Rae, followed by a high tea that afternoon [full details].
Tuesday 21 August
- Macquarie University—scholarly seminar from 12.30-2.00pm in W5A T1 [full details].
Wednesday 22 August
- Macquarie University—BBQ and music for staff and students, 12 noon-2 pm in Central Courtyard [full details].
Thursday 23 August
- Macquarie University—Celebrating women at MQ, music and light refreshements [full details].
Post a comment
Rm 1211 Mathews Building Kensington Campus
University of NSW
Phone: 02 9385 2479
Fax: 02 9385 2570